The first excavations were made in 1878 by Minoa Kalokairino . Later excavations followed by Englishman Sir Arthur Evans (1900-1919 and 1922-1930) which was discovered around the palace , which was a multi-storey building covering an area of 20.000 . At the palace of Knossos have become widespread restoration of the archaeologist Arthur Evans. Impressive is the variety of building materials , colored plaster , frescoes that decorate rooms and corridors and the marble decorations . The Minoans were characterized by high technical knowledge and innovative architectural and structural features such as skylights and many windows home , the use of beams to strengthen the masonry and the complex drainage and water supply system . In the palace stands the throne of Minos mural of Prince of the Lilies , the Queen’s Hall , and the mural Hunting Taurus. Numerous finds from the palace vases , tableware , figurines, file of Linear B tablets as writing and original wall in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion .